Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Cathartic


There is something so liberating yet so intensely nerve wracking about purposely dropping a stitch. When I saw Clapotis, I recognized the dropped stitches, then I read the entire pattern before I cast on. I knew they were coming, but it was so hard to do it. Cast On. Set Up Rows. Increase Rows. Straight Rows. Row 8 ... I stopped, re-read the entire pattern...just to confirm. I didn't want to try and fix that kind of a mistake! Then I did it, and was afraid, but it did what it was supposed to. It stopped at the bottom, it didn't completely unravel. I was worried. I kept knitting, I got to the second dropped stitch. This time not so afraid, but still apprehensive. I didn't re-read the pattern, I'm making progress. I figured by the time I was finished I would be comfortable with the drop stitch, but suddenly I find myself knitting faster and faster, to get to that next one. I have to slow down, I'm making mistakes. I just have to take it easy. But I want to do it again, I want to drop another stitch and another on PURPOSE! Is there something wrong with me??

This is a Christmas present for some one on my list. I don't think that person reads the blog so I will post an updated picture, or at least and FO. The yarn is Andean Silk in Hyacinth. I like the variegated colors, but this yarn is amazing and will look lovely knit as Clapotis. Very elegant, yet warm.

No comments: