Monday, November 27, 2006

Peace


This is what I see outside my front door. My ocean view. I look out often. I can also stand in the kitchen at the stove and look out and see the sunset through the French doors. It's funny because as I look at this picture, I realize that I don't really see the houses on the sides or that ugly telephone pole and wires. I just look past them or through them. Like I mentally block their existence. Looking at the picture they kind of irritate me. Maybe it's the intoxicating briny air that I inhale deeply as I search for peace and calm in those fluffy white clouds and the deep blue sea that erases the obstructions.


When we lived in Arizona I was tormented by the fact that there were no large bodies of water near me. Like I was out of balance. When ever I really needed to think or relax I used to go for a walk on the beach, find a quite spot to listen to the waves, and feel the ocean breeze on my face, basically meditate. We've lived near the beach for a long time. But until we moved here we had never lived so close. I feel so grounded here. It's so comforting to know that I am literally less than a tenth of a mile from dashing down to the waters edge and digging my toes in the sand.

1 comment:

Stefaneener said...

found you surfing young children webring. I used to live in Arizona (grew up outside of L.A.) and the knowledge that we weren't on an "edge"? Creeped me out. I so know what you mean! Hang in there.